first, get your CVS ExtraCare card
ask a cashier for a card/application, or sign up online. if you're excited to get started, ask for your card at the store. otherwise you'll have to wait for the card to arrive in the mail.
on 6/16/2011 cvs posted on their facebook page, that only one card per household is allowed. this was never stated on the card applications, but apparently this is their official (although unenforced) policy.
if you don't like the idea of giving cvs your name, address, phone #, etc - it is possible to use a card without "registering" it. sometimes a cvs store will set up a table with cards and applications. if you just take one of the cards and neglect to fill out the form, it can still be used.
you'll need to have your card scanned for each of your purchases.
next, start earning eb (Extrabucks)
eb are earned through promotions, such as “Buy XX, receive $YY in eb.” you will see these promotions in the weekly ads or shelf tags. The eb print at the end of your receipt - clip them and keep them as carefully as you would cash.
- The required amount to receive the eb is always calculated before coupons.
- You do not have to buy all the products for that particular promotion in the same transaction or at the same store. a tally is printed on each receipt showing what you have towards each deal...
- eb can be used to purchase nearly anything in the store. (excluding prescriptions, alcohol, Gift Cards, lottery, money orders, postage stamps, pre-paid cards and tobacco products, as printed on the eb.) they also cannot be used to pay the tax on a transaction.
- you cannot get change back when you spend your eb's. however, they can be entered as less than their face value, for example if your total (before tax) comes to $1.97 and you have an eb for $1.99 that you would like to use, and you don't mind losing 2 cents of its value. the cashier may adjust the value to the balance due before tax.
- eb expire 4 weeks from the date they are printed.
using coupons @ cvs
- CVS accepts manufacturer's coupons, including printable coupons. CVS also issues their own store coupons. you can get these online, in cvs emails, and printed out at the end of your receipt (these are referred to as CRT's - cash register tape). log into your cvs account to make sure your email communications shows that you are subscribed or subscribe here.
- Both eb and CRT coupons are linked to your CVS card, which means you cannot use them without the same CVS card that earned them.
- most of the emailed cvs coupons for specific items (like $1 off gatorade) can be used with any cvs card. however the $$/$$ coupons (like $3 off $15 purchase) are activated only on the cards they were issued to. if cvs did not send it to you, it will beep when scanned and the cashier will receive a message that the coupon was not issued to your card. read the cvs coupon guide for more info.
- CVS coupon policy allows for the use of one manufacturer and one CVS coupon on each item. eb are not counted as coupons in this respect, you may use as many of these as you like.
cvs facebook page
frequently asked questions about iheartcvs.com contact me